Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chapter 7 Let Your Love Grow Tall - Passion Pit

Sorry it took me so long to get it up guys. I really love this chapter because of it's cute adorable fluffness. At least I think so. :)


“Let Your Love Grow Tall” - Passion Pit

The week had been pretty average. She had her work to do collecting all the information she needed to complete the guys completely medical histories as well as get orders for updating all their shots. It seemed strange to her that some of them hadn’t had tetanus shots on record. They play with metal skates for crying out loud they needed them! She had seen Kris around and they had a few conversations but for most of the week they had been pretty quiet. He kept sending sneaky little clue texts about what their next date would be like ‘be sure to wear sneakers’ and ‘come hungry’ as well as ‘wear comfortable clothes’ ect. By Thursday she was dying to know what they would be doing.
“Come on you have to give me a hint.” she said before heading out to the cars with him.
“Sarah I have given you lots of hints.” he teased bumping his shoulder against hers or more his arm against her shoulder. The stood under the entrance just outside of fan view. “Just be ready to be active.”
“You aren’t making me skate right? The last time I skated I had a head trauma.” she wasn’t lying the last time she skated she had an incident that looked like boarding but no one pushed her into the boards.

“Not skating he said with a chuckle. But I could help you learn I am a strong skater.” he shrugged hands in his pockets.
“Yes I know you’re a quick one Tanger.” she had taken to using his team nickname while at work and calling him Kris when they were outside of their professional relationship. She looked at her watch. “I gotta go I’m meeting Mal for a run. She wants to do the marathon this year and I’m helping her train.” Sarah explained. “Friday. I’m looking forward to it.” she walked backwards smiling seeing Pascal sneaking up on Kris. She rolled her eyes shaking her head but Kris caught on to late taking a good hit from his friend/ the guy who picked on him more than anyone else on t he team. “Boys play nice.” she called back before turning and heading to her car.

Friday rolled around and they were once again headed for the car. She saw him carrying a few sticks two his usual and two much smaller. “Hey I told you no skating.” she pointed at him giving her best evil eye look.
“No skating.” she said holding his hands up grinning. “We have a few hours before I pick you up. Lots of time for you to try and figure it out.” he said obviously pleased she didn’t know.
Max came up behind her draping his arm around her shoulders. “He is planning things for you. This is good. He does not usually take initiative. He likes you even more than he said.” Max patted her on the back and continued to walk towards his car. “See you Monday Sarah. Have a good weekend.” he gave a big wink to her and then turned his attentions to Kris who was putting the sticks in his back seat. By the time she made it to her car they were laughing as Max pretended to beat up on him. She rolled her eyes and headed home to change.

Sarah looked at her clothing options and sighed picking up her phone to text Kis. ‘athletic shorts or jeans? If we are being active I need to know. I like you but not enough to run around in jeans in 80 degree weather.’ she went to the bathroom pulling her hair up or the majority of it. She had a few whispies that wouldn’t go up.

‘athletic shorts. See you in 30.’ he texted back as she rushed to finished getting ready though she was hardly fancy as she headed down to the parking lot seeing him pull in wearing her running shoes running shorts and a t-shirt with a tank under it.
“Hey.” she said brightly climbing in his car putting her small gym bag at her feet. Inside she had a hoodie, two bananas and two bottles of water. She couldn’t help but be concerned about their health especially his even if it had been a light practice it was her job to make sure he stayed well.
Kris leaned in giving her a quick kiss that caught her off guard but it made her smile. “I like this.” he said pointing to her get up. “Now I know what you must have looked like yesterday on your run.” he said with a grin.

“Ha no. I looked way more gross than this. All sweaty and nasty and tired. I bet my couch stinks from where I crashed on it.” she joked. “I’ll get sweaty today but you better watch your energy. I may be in athletic gear on a date but I’m still your nurse and I won’t let you be to stupid.” she said bucking her seat belt. “So what exactly are we doing?” she asked watching the roads as he drove.
“We are going to play deck hockey. No ice just sneakers.” he said not giving her a chance to mention her lack of skating ability. “I will teach you how to skate but I will wait till you trust me more.” with that said he smiled and turned on the radio catching Mark Madden’s show for a bit.
“It’s got nothing to do with trusting you. I just like to not having my brain sloshed around to where it bounces on my skull.” she said with a fake cheesy smile.
“Ah so that is what a concussion is. I learn a new thing today.” he chuckled as he pulled into the parking lot of the deck hockey club.
They unloaded the car and he put the two smaller sticks up to her nodding quite pleased with himself that he had guessed on the measure. “We have an hour and a half before people start turning up for the their games tonight.” he said grabbing a back pack that had water and Gatorade in it as well as several balls. He waved to several of the employees who nodded and waved back as they passed though the building to the court.
“So you are left handed like me yes?” he asked seeing how he was carrying the sticks.

“Well it depends on what I’m doing but I write with my left.” she nodded putting the spare stick down on the bench as well as her hoodie. She watched him stick one ball in his pocket lightly kicking the other one out towards the center of the deck. “I leaned to do a lot of things right handed like tie my shoes and draw blood.” she shrugged. “When someone teaches you things you do it the way they teach you.”
Kris nodded knowingly. “I tie my shoes right handed as well.” He headed out to the center of the deck and she followed. “I know you know the game pretty well. I can tell by how you watch us. You anticipate the play.” he said putting the ball on the center spot. “I will be Flower and you try to score. It is like a shoot out.” he said jogging down to the net touching the posts like Flower did every game only Kris had a big goofy smile on his face.

“Hey how you aren’t even going to teach me how to do this?” she said doing her best to hold the stick right doing what she saw him do each day.
“You have it. You do not need help.” he said still grinning at her obviously enjoying her figure things out on her own.
“By the end of this you’re going to pay.” she said eyes narrowed in a play glair. She nudged the ball with her stick trying her best to guide it though it quickly found its way off her stick and she had to move from the center to get it going back in her direction again.
“Don’t take all day!” he said still smiling at her.
“I kind of hate you right now.” she said slowly making her way towards him again gaining a bit more control. “We don’t play hockey in West Virginia, we just kick tin cans in our bare feet.” she joked finally getting close enough to take a shot. She went top shelf in the upper left of the net on accident with it sailing by him. “Ohhhhhh… look at that! You aren’t going to mock me now are you?” she asked hands in the air her own goal celebration happening.
“He wasn’t expecting her to shoot it high and took his turn to glair at her. “I think you play bad to fool me.” he gathered the ball with his stick bringing it out to her. “If we pass a bit you will get the fell better.” he said handing her the ball moving to the other side of the deck.

“Ok, ok… and I wasn’t faking. The damn thing rolls and not where I want it to.” she said nudging the ball with just enough force for it to get to him. He took a few steps with it nodding for her to keep pace which she did. He sent it back her way and she got it on her stick but wasn’t able to control it sending it back behind him. He easily gathered it up and they continued to work up and down the deck till she could make and receive passes at a jog.
“Ok, ok water break.” she said half an hour in. “You’re a slave driver.” she teased heading for the bench where they had left their things.
“You are a fast learner. I dared not to stop in fear you lose what you have learned.” he bumped into her at the bench forcing her to spill her water down her front. Thankfully she hadn’t worn a white shirt but rather a light blue one. Her bra could vaguely be seen through it but it could have been a whole lot worse.

Sarah immediately turned to him squirting him in the chest with the water left in her bottle. “That’s what you get!” she joked looking over his wet shirt seeing how it clung to his muscles. He had a pretend horrified face that immediately went to a smile as he shook out his shirt wringing the water from it. Sarah did her best to dry out too eventually giving up.
“You will be ok by the end of tonight. A few more times you will be good enough to come play in my friend charity game in Montreal this summer.” He opened the Gatorade taking a drink a bit being sure to step away from her just incase.
“Oh I wouldn’t spill that on you. I’m a goof but not mean.” She was fanning her shirt away from her skin it hopes it wouldn’t stick quite as bad. He didn’t seem to mind his sticking anymore. She couldn’t help but make a mental note of how his stomach and chest looked with the shirt clinging to it. She had seen him shirtless before but never in a personal setting like this.
Her mental feast of taking him in was cut off as her phone rang on the bench. She glanced at it her face going concerned seeing the area code. “I’m sorry it’s home I need to check this.” she picked up her phone walking a few steps away to answer.
“Hi, yes this is she.” Sarah said her face going concerned. “Ok, Did you call Angus Pearson our Grandfather?” her face was really concerned now. “You’re kidding. No I know you aren’t he would do that.” she heaved a heavy sigh. “Ok, ok I’ll take care of it.” she ended the call turning to him. “This is awful but I need a favor. I have to get home as in to my house get my car and go to West Virginia tonight.”

His brows knit in confusion. “What happened is everything ok?” he asked a concerned hand being placed on her arm.
“Yeah, my brother Rus is in jail. He’s kinda a dumbass.” she said gathering up her things. He followed suit. “And my G-Dad is the one who got him put there.” she sighed turning her full attention to him. “I have to call him in the car and when I have all the facts I’ll explain.” she pretty much could guess what happened but didn’t want to jump to too many conclusion.

Once In the car headed for her place she started to call her Grandfather. “G-Dad hey so Russ got arrested tonight?” she paused rolling her eyes. “Yes, I know you know. They told me you’re the one who called it in.” she sighed running her hand though the bits of hair that had fallen into her face. “No, I’m not sticking up for him he’s a moron but one that we happen to love. I know… I know you just want him to learn a lesson.” She closed her eyes her hand just staying in her hair pulling lightly on the roots. “I’m coming down. I’m going to call the Doctor to get his and your meds ordered. Don’t even pretend you’re taking them. I know you haven’t been… ok… ok. No I’m not going to bail him out. I’ll stop by after I see him. Love you G-Dad.” she finally closed the phone up sighing as they arrived back in the south side.
He looked at her just glancing not wanting to push anything. Though he was curious. This was so much she hadn’t told him about. He knew it took time to know people but jail, medications, odd family terms he’d never heard.
“Ok so my Grandpa raised my Brother and I.” she said turning in her seat so she could see him a bit better as the sun started to go down. “We call him out G-Dad because it seemed more normal at school and he isn’t the oldest of Grandfathers.” she shrugged. “And my brother is kind of an idiot. He’s got an alcohol problem and he’s diabetic. That’s the medication I’m taking him. He doesn’t keep track so he has stupid stuff happen to him passing out in the street and things with his sugar going to low or drinking far to must and being drunk and having dangerously high sugar.” she shrugged they’re my family so I keep track of them.

They arrived back at her apartment and he parked the car. “I want to go with you. You are obviously frustrated and I don’t want you to rush and have something bad happen.” he put the car in park but let it run.
She thought about it glancing at her phone and then back to him. So you’re saying you want to meet my G-Dad is all his glory having just gotten his own Grandson arrested?” she tried to be serious but couldn’t help but smile at the absurdity of it. “God, we’re so West Virginia.” she said shaking her head. “ok… ok. You can come.”

1 comment: