Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chapter 23: A Comet Appears - The Shins

Hello new followers! I think readership doubled this week which is crazy to me. I hope you're all enjoying the story. Let me know what you think as I am writing 'part two' now. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------


It was upon Max’s insistence that everyone go out for Kris’ birthday. Not the day of the Playoff win but the day after. They were all tired and wanted to rest even if they had won the first round of the playoffs against Ottawa on Kris’s birthday. There was a six day break but the guys really needed it. Everyone was banged up some worse than others. Many of them had no business on the ice but there was no way they would give up playing now.

Sarah was sure to tell all the guys they could drink but no one did. Ok they had a bit of wine or beer at dinner but it was in the way that was to enjoy rather than get drunk. They were big goofballs sometimes big drunken goofballs but when it came down to it they were indeed serious professional athletes. Instead of drinking themselves they pumped the rest of the non-athlete crew with drinks.

“You look pretty tonight.” Kris said as he sat down next to her. We had gone from dinner at his favorite restaurant to Diesel. “I know I told you already but you do. I like it when you wear purple.” he said sitting in the corner of the semi-private lounge watching the crew we were out with. Max and Mal were out on the dance floor, Jordan and his Girlfriend were on the sofa hanging out. MAF and his girlfriend were near by as well. A lot of the other guys had been at dinner but went home to their families or at least hot showers and sleep.

“I picked it out with that in mind.” Sarah said leaning into him. She was drinking far to much than she knew she should Max and Mal kept handing her drinks as Dad Kris like it was some big conspiracy. She was sitting now because she knew there was no way in hell she could stand on her own.
Sarah had been in a bad way for the first two weeks after Jason’s death. She went to the funeral but everyone around her knew she carried a burden of grief. Thankfully Kris was understanding having some experience with grief himself. She dropped more weight in that time than was healthy. She ran, worked and slept but didn’t eat. Kris tried to make her eat but was barely successful.

“I love your presents.” he said putting his arm around her. The classic looking large headphones that blocked outside noises and pumped the music right into his brain were something he really wanted but never got around to getting for himself. She got him new high thread count sheets though they were partially a gift for herself. What he had liked the most though was the year of laundry service she had gotten for him. Gone were days of having to drop off and pick up his suits or feel like an idiot when he got home to find he had left wet clothes in the washer while he was gone that now had mold on them.

“I’m glad.” she could feel herself spinning as she sat next to him. She kissed his cheek and leaned into him. They were quiet for awhile just enjoying their friends laughing as Jordan nearly killed his girlfriend falling on her.

“I think I need to go home now.” Sarah announced looking at Kris. The spinning and blurring of the room were getting especially bad. She didn’t feel like she was going to vomit but the two empty bottle of vodka on the table led her to believe otherwise.

The crew hooted and hollered as Kris scooped her up. She felt like a child in his arms as he carried her to the car carefully putting her inside being mindful not to bump her head. He even buckled her seatbelt for her. As always the ride back to his place was short. He got her out of the car just the same as he put her in.

“I’m sorry I’m so drunk.” she said standing in his bedroom as he unzipped her dress tossing it aside replacing it with one of his t-shirts. “You deserve birthday sex. Wild hot birthday sex. Wild hot birthday and advancing in the playoffs sex.” she poutted as he carefully searched out the pins she had put in her hair to make her bangs a bit poofy. He thought it was a bit over the top as he fished six pins out of her wavy blond hair. “You’ll get you birthday sex tomorrow I promise. I don’t want to throw up in your face or something gross like that.” she continued to talk and he continued to take care of her awkwardly pulling her hair up in a lop sided ponytail circa 1989 but it was how hard he was trying that made it adorable. He grabbed a bag lined trash can putting it on her side of the bed as well as a glass of water. Next he brought her two aspirin and a small paper cup of water. “You’re good at this you should be a nurse.” she teased. “Sexiest nurse ever.” she took the pills taking the little cup of water like a shot. “Not in a skirt though. You don’t have the legs for it. You have some seriously thick thighs. That‘s a good thing though. Skate fast, hold me tight…”
Kris just continued on guiding her to the bed. He tucked her in and then changed himself all while she continued to babble about nursing and loving it though it was obvious in her tone that as much as she meant the words in the long haul at the moment they only contained the bitterness of loss.

“I love it, you know? I do. I love taking care of people. Especially kids. There’s nothing like seeing a little one be well enough to actually play….” she felt Kris climb into bed next to her. He moved so his back aligned with her and they were connected head to toe.

“Shhh… close your eyes.” he said in a soft tone just beside her ear.
“I can’t. If I close my eyes I can’t fight it.” she said in a drunken loud whisper.

“Can’t fight what?” he asked tightening his arm around her pulling her closer to his chest.

“Can’t fight the pain.” she said in the same whisper. “I’m sad. I’m so sad.” she confessed. “I can’t cry anymore. I can’t smile anymore. I know you know.” she rolled in his arms to face him their noses almost touching they were so close. He was really glad he made her brush her teeth now.

“I know. I know you try to be well. But you aren’t.” he kissed the tip of her nose. “I’ll be here now and when you’re better because I love you and I know you’ll get better.”

Sarah felt like dead weight in his arms now. He knew she was asleep or at least passed out. What she was going though frightened him. It brought up old memories of his own grief. There was only one person he thought of who could really help her. An old friend he hadn’t talked to in awhile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 11am when Sarah finally woke up. The sun was bright and hurt her eyes. She ached all over and had a bit of a headache. She knew right away what had happened. What she didn’t understand though was the side ponytail her hair was pulled into. She pulled on some shorts and headed out into the rest of the apartment to find Kris. She learned a long time ago to always put the shorts on. Max and MAF had seen her in just a t-shirt several times and Geno had actually seen her in just her bra and underwear that was when he walked in on her fresh out of the shower though.

“I’m waist deep in the shame and pain of drinking to much.” she said going to the coffee pot pouring herself a cup not bothering with her usual splenda.

“You need to shower I have someone coming over for lunch.” Kris said as he turned the microwave a plate of pancakes spinning inside.

“Who’s coming?” she asked holding the warm cup tightly between her hands. “Aww, did your Mom come in to surprise you?” she asked hopeful to see his Mom. They had chatted on the phone a few times since her visit to Montreal.

“Non. My friend Brian is coming over. You’ve met him before in passing. He’s the team Chaplin.” Kris explained as the microwave dinged. He added syrup to the two pancakes putting them on the table guiding her there. “Now eat these.”

“I’m not hungry.” she said raising her eyes to meet his. It was a lie. She was hungry but didn’t feel like eating.

“Bullshit. Eat the pancakes Sarah.” he crossed his arms not giving her any ground.

She sighed sitting down. “Fine.”

Once she ate enough of the pancakes for him to release her from the table as if she was a child she showered and dressed. By the time she was ready she knew the Chaplin was already there. She went into the living room seeing the two men sitting on the sofa.

“Brian this is my girlfriend and our team Nurse Sarah. Sarah, Brian our Chaplin.” Kris made the introduction sound so simple.

“It’s nice to meet you.” Sarah extended her hand and he took it in introduction.

“Kris has told me a lot about you. All wonderful things. I know he’s an honest man so I know you’re quite the woman.” Brian said as he took a seat in a near by chair allowing Sarah to sit by Kris.

“Sarah I asked Brian to come because I want you to have help. He helped me when Luc died.” Kris looked to her eyes though she avoided his gaze.

“Is this because I got drunk last night?” She asked leaning away from him into the arm of the couch.

“No, not at all.” Kris said giving up on trying to get her to move closer to him. “It’s about what you said. Last night you told me how sad you are. You told me you can’t fight the pain anymore.”

“I was drunk.” she said with a little chuckle though she didn't smile since it was the truth.

“I know you have experience dealing in psych work Sarah. I know that makes it harder to reach out for help.” Brian said as he moved to the edge of his seat. “I just want to be a resource or a sounding board for you. You can talk with Kris about me, I know he was real skeptical when Max introduced us. Right Kris?”

“I was so pissed at Max that day. I wanted to murder him.” he looked at Sarah smiling. “Max did it at the rink. Maybe I should have too. Less knives and ways for you to kill me... though more skate blades.” he joked.

“Ah yes but there is that nice table saw in the stick room.” Sarah said with a glair.

“Don’t worry Kris isn’t going to leave us now or anything. This was really just an introduction.” Brian moved to get up. “I actually need to go I have a lot of stuff to do today. I’m gearing up to head down to Haiti.” Brian explained.

“Oh?” Sarah asked her interest perked.

“Yeah. I’m working with an orphanage there. The need is so great. I’ll be heading down once the playoffs are over. If you’re interested you should come meet the team.”

“Ok. I’ll meet the team sometime.” Sarah said relaxing a bit.

“Great. I should really get going. Kris, it’s always great to see you doing so well. Sarah don’t be a stranger. I’m always around the rink on game day if you ever want to talk about anything.” Kris got up as did Brian and she was left alone to think about the encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment