Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chapter 26: Beautiful Life - Charlotte Martin

It's friday now so officially the weekend hence why I can post this. So here is the end to All or Nothing: Kris & Sarah Part 1. Don't worry though I'm already 6 chapters deep in part two. Updates here should still be regular so no worries. I hope you guys like it all. Leave comments on hopes, fears, what you want to happen ect. If someone actually manages to guess what's going to go down in part two I'll be shocked! Thanks for reading!
__________________________________________________________________________________________



No one expected the season to end like this. No one wanted to send the arena out with a loss. No one wanted to see their friend feel like he let the team down. No on wanted to pack of their gear. No one wanted to turn up the morning after the last loss of the season facing down a long summer.

Sarah was in putting in the final stats of the game the night before and starting to pack up when she got a knock on her door. It was Ray, her boss. The big boss, the one step from the ultimate top boss. “Sarah the guys are just about ready to talk to you but I think we should talk first. Can I come in?” he asked still standing outside of her door.

“Yeah, come in, have a seat.” she said moving to clear a space in her guest chair for him. She had prepped books for the guys with their current stats to take with them to their summer trainers.

“You’ve done a great job this year. Chris and the rest of the training staff say they feel comfortable with the system. That means you’ve done your job well.”

“Thanks you. Really they weren’t hard to teach and seemed thankful to have less paper to keep track of.” she relaxed some.

“I’m sure you know by now that we will not be renewing your full time contract. However we would like to offer you a consulting position. This would entail reporting to the training staff when called in mostly in cases where someone is facing a long term recovery.” he explained.

“I think that sounds like something I would enjoy.” Sarah relaxed back into the chair. “I will not be available until September though. I hope that isn’t a problem. I’ve taken a position outside of the country for the summer.”

“No problem at all. I will have the contract drawn up and you can sign this afternoon. I hope you have an excellent summer Sarah. The guys will be waiting for you. Feel free to tell them about your new place with the team.” He shook her hand and was out the door before she could do anything about it. He was a man of fast deals and mystery as far as she was concerned.

With her box in hand she made her way to the old nasty locker room. They all still looked defeated as they bundled their sticks and packed away their gear to have it sent to where they trained in the summer. Kris’s and Max’s were headed to Montreal, Geno’s was headed for Moscow and Sid, Cole Harbor. She let them continue their work as she gave each person their binder where they found every stat humanly possible from face offs won to their average treadmill speed on the second Thursday of every month.

“So as you can see I’ve given you all your books. I think this confirms I’ve been paid to be a creepy stalker to all of you.” everyone gave a chuckle but no one was in the mood to laugh. “I hope you all have a great summer. Train hard, have fun, heal…” she emphasized the last word staring a few of them down in hopes she could put the fear of a Mother into them. “I’m sure you all know I’m not contracted for next year.” they looked nervously at Kris before nodding collectively. “But I’m happy to say I will see you all next year.” There was a collective cheer and clapping as those close to Kris slapped him on the back making him go bright red.
“you can all relax though. I won’t be here all the time but I’ll be here when you need me. I won’t be your creepy stalker anymore but more like….” she paused smiling shaking her head. “More like you fairy health godmother. Or the nagging voice of giving something time to heal.” they all groaned and she laughed. “Enjoy the summer boys.” she ended giving them all a hand smiling. She knew they were all still disappointed but she could see one person smiling across the room one who got up to follow her out of the locker room.

Kris scooped her up in a big hug squeezing so hard he made her back crack. Usually he was beyond gentle so she knew he was consumed by emotion to be this rough on her. He put her back down on her feet his hands on his hips.

“How long have you known? Do you enjoy keeping news from me?” he asked trying to play stern. When she kept good news from him he never minded to much.

“I just found out. I haven’t even signed the deal yet. Ray turned up at my office made the offer, I said yes and then he disappeared again. I think he might be magical.” she said with a shrug. “I have to go sign for real later this afternoon."

“This make me so happy.” he said holding her shoulders for a second before pulling her into a hug again. He knew now she would be back. She wouldn’t run away to Haiti and never come back to him. His fears for their future were eased.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They stood in line at the baggage counter. Sarah had one bag on either side of her with Kris behind her his arms around her, his chin resting on her shoulder. He had to stoop a bit to do it but for some reason he had taken to standing like this while they were on vacation. On the cruise he said he liked it because he could always kiss her shoulders. Why he did it now she’d never know. He just said it was comfortable. She let him go though as they inched their way though the line.

Vacation had been fun but now her bags were much more carefully packed. What held bikinis and cute casual dresses before now held clothes, a bed roll and mosquito netting in one bag and another packed full of medical supplies. Thankfully when the bags were weighed they passed the under 50 lbs mark. Her ticket and passport were scanned and she was checked in. There were still two hours till her flight boarded and at the ridiculous hour of 4am no one was passing though security yet. So the couple found a bench to spend their last bit of time together. They sat holding hands their tans nearly matching. Her head on his shoulder and his head on hers.

“I think you will be everyone favorite in Haiti.” he said softly.

She chuckled. “I don’t want to be everyone’s favorite just yours.”

Kris lifted his head from her to look into her eyes. “Come home to me ok? I do not think I will be happy till you come home. Just as I know you will not be happy till you go.” He knew she was going as a way to jump start her nursing again. After Jason passed away she didn’t go back to the hospital. She couldn’t. Now she would need to so she could support herself. Well she didn’t need to he made that quite clear that he was content to support her but she refused. She did however agree to move in upon her return.

“I’ll always come home to you.” she whispered kissing him lightly. Traffic though security started to pick up as business people started to arrive for their early morning flights. “I should go…” she said resting her forehead against his.
“Come home to me.” he said again one they were standing and she had her beat up old backpack of a carryon over her shoulders.

“Always.” she echoed again.

One last kiss and she was on her way.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone is posting chapters of stories that make me want to cry tonight... why are you all doing this?!
    And why didn't I know about it... I'd have written a sappy chapter just to go along with everyone else./ You all suck.
    But it was great. And I really hope that this trip to Haiti helps her!

    "Come home to me..."
    "I'll always come home to you."

    Shut up! That was great!!

    ReplyDelete