Monday, December 6, 2010

Part 2: Chapter 1: Brand New Day - Joshua Radin

I Couldn't resist! Updates here and over at Max & Mal!


“The stars are so bright here.” he said look up at the dark sky that was dotted by pin pricks of light.

“Yeah it’s like when you’re a kid and you started with the black paper on the lite brite slowly putting the pegs in to make the creepy clown.”

He looked at her like she was a bit crazy. “I’m really glad there isn’t a fucking creepy clown in the sky.” he turned his head to look at the girl net to him on the blanket. “I’m glad you’re better. We all are.”

“Yeah it’s like that book Eat, Pray, Love. Well movie now, I want to see that when we get home... I needed , to get away from it all. Even you guys. Who I love, I became defined by what I did.” she sighed laying back completely on the poured concrete floor.

“Yes. This has made me see that I need to be more than hockey.” I think starting my foundation here will be good.” He looked down at her next to him.

“Max, you’re right about the foundation, but if you don’t stop looking at my boobs I’ll black your eyes and have my boyfriend and your girlfriend do the same once we get home. They’ll be waiting at baggage claim to do it and you know it.”
“Ok. Only because I am afraid of Mal and you. Tanger is just Tanger.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Don’t trip, don’t trip, don’t fall..’ he thought to himself as he stiffly moved down the runway. ‘Try not to look like a douche…’ he thought each time he changed and was restyled to be sent out under the lights. ‘Thank you Jesus.’ he prayed as the show came to an end.

The backstage was crazy. People everywhere, models in various states of undress. ‘eyes down’ he reminded himself as he headed for the lounge. It was there he promised to wait.

‘You…” she said covering her mouth trying not to laugh,. “The hairless look?” she asked reaching out to touch his bare stomach and chest.

“Oh shut up.” he said batting her hand away. “Do you like it?”

“No. But my opinion doesn’t matter.” glasses of champagne were brought to them. They each took a glass as the toast was made across the room.

“I think she’ll like it.” Kris said with a little the shrug after taking a sip of the drink only to abandon his glass on a near by table.

“Not that hair.” mal said pulling here camera from her bag snapping a picture in his face. “That I am never ever going to let you live down.”

“I figures.” he violently shook his head the hair sprayed pool falling apart leaving a half puff on side of his head.

“Sweet baby jesus… you look a hot mess.” Mal said snapping another picture.

“Yes I know.” he joked putting on a blue steel kind of look joking with her.

“No that means… never mind.” she didn’t want to take the time to explain the slang.

Each of them were pulled in different directions to talk to different people. They really didn’t meet again till it was time to leave.

“Going back to Max’s parents?” he asked walking with Mal to the parking lot.

“Yeah they let me borrow their car to drive in. They’re taking me to the airport in the morning. Max’ll be back the day after and I wanted to get some rest before I spend my last few days off in this cycle with him.” she explained.

“Yes, I come back to Pit the day before Sarah. I wanted to be able to pick her up but her G-Dad is. I have special shots coach coming in. Then we spend the next weeks moving her stuff.”

“Yeah I’m helping with that. You nutters moving in together, if I lived with Max I would kill him. Really you’d all start to wonder when he didn’t show up for practice one day.”

“Yeah well it the next steps.” he shrugged. “Then this.” he said fishing in his bag pulling out a ring box.

“Oh shit.” Mal said her hand at her mouth covering her smile. She took the box opening looking at the antique ring with gold leaves flanking a round cut diamond that was big without being ridiculous. “That is so Sarah. It’s perfect.”

“You think so?” he asked taking the box back looking at it. “I think so but sometimes I’m wrong.” he said tucking the box back in his bag.

“Really she’ll love it.”

“Was my Great-Grandmother’s. Her husband, my Great-Grandfather brought it back from Italy WWII her her.” he explained.

“Seriously she’ll love it. She likes leaves and things and that story. Because it’s special to you it will be even more special to her.” Sarah liked those kinds of sentimental things where as Mal tended to go for new and shiny. “Just make sure you’re both ready. Make sure you truly know one another.” Mal said as she unlocked the car.

“I do. But I like finding new things about her. I want to know it all and I want forever to do it.”

His sincerity made her heart melt. “Good. I can honestly say I can’t imagine a better match for my best friend…” she paused. “I’ll save all my mushy stuff for my wedding toast.”

2 comments:

  1. OH what the... WHY SO SHORT?!
    EVIL!!!!

    Just for that.. I'm not going to tell you what I tink of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your story. I'm only on chapter 7 but wanted you to know that I really like it. Can't wait to get caught up!

    ReplyDelete